33 Things Every Female Solo Traveler Should Know—From The TravelPirates Editors
Solo travel allows you to experience the world at your own pace. You decide where you want to go, what you want to see, eat and linger on.
So, in honor of International Women's Day, the ladies in the TravelPirates office have compiled a list of our favorite tips and tricks for solo female travel.
1. The best-lai plans of mice and women often go awry, so why stress if things don't work out exactly as planned?
2. Talk to people. Travelers make the best friends.
3. Ask a local. You'll discover things that guidebooks overlook.
4. Practice keeping an open mind. It can be easy to feel frustrated, especially if you’re going to a place where women have fewer social freedoms.
5. Step outside of your comfort zone at least once on every trip.
6. Bring any medications you'll need with you and make sure labels are clear.
7. Pack a scarf. It's fashionable and it can cover your head or shoulders if needed.
8. Take a tour at the beginning of your trip so you can see which places you want to come back to later.
9. BYOS. Bring your own sunscreen. Believe it or not, this essential toiletry is not easy to find everywhere in the world.
10. Download maps for offline use. Many map apps feature an offline option, so you'll still have access to maps without mobile service.
11. Eat something you've never tried before.
12. After you hit up your must-see sights, explore your surroundings naturally, using the rest of your list as a guide without feeling beholden to it.
13. Trust your instincts. If something doesn't feel right or safe, it probably isn't.
14. Hair ties are your best friend.
15. If you're planning on taking public transportation, scope out the bus or train station beforehand.
16. Pack light. It's easier to explore when you don't have a lot of luggage.
17. Make sure someone always where you're going and when you'll be back.
18. If pregnant, or planning to get pregnant, stay up-to-date on the Zika virus and other relevant medical concerns.
19. Didn't get a chance to visit that famous site? It'll give you an excuse to visit again someday.
20. Learn a language. Even a few key phrases can be immensely helpful.
21. Be flexible with your itinerary, you might stumble upon something amazing.
22. Read up on how to dress in any country you visit. Some places have very strict customs—or laws—regarding modesty.
23. Befriend female employees at hostels, hotels, restaurants, and bars.
24. Stay aware of your surroundings.
25. Birth control–consider your options and what works best for your travels.
26. Do your research and create a list of things to see and do.
27. Become familiar with tipping and gratuity customs in the region you'll be traveling.
28. Carry minimal stuff when you're out and about.
29. Be friendly with the concierge. They always know the best restaurants and hidden gems to visit.
30. Download apps. Having a travel guide on your phone is a good way to learn more about your destination.
31. Walk with a purpose.
32. Create a daily itinerary with the understanding that you won't get to see everything on your list.
33. Give yourself the opportunity to get lost...in a good way!